HISTORY OF THE FAIR
History of the Fair According to the records: In 1880 the 10th District Agricultural Association was founded which included three counties: Siskiyou, Shasta and Trinity. It is this association which organizes and puts on fairs. The first fair in Shasta County was held in 1887. It opened with a parade lead by the Millville Bugle Band, followed by officers of the Association, the Grand Army, the Fire Department, Fraternal Societies, and visiting citizens who were in carriages and on foot. They had a mineral and agricultural display which was shown at Major George’s Hall. The fair was sponsored by the Shasta County Agricultural and Mineral Association. In 1888 the exhibits were shown in the ‘new’ McCormick Saeltzer brick building on Market Street.
In 1889 Shasta County withdrew from the 10th DAA and the 27th District Agricultural Association was formed. Its first fair was held in August, 1889 in the Pine Street School house. Admission was 50¢ for adults and 15¢ per child. Fairs were held annually for the next 6 years. The only fair that was held between 1894 and 1903 was in 1902. It was held in Armory Hall (now the Shasta Regional Hospital site). Wilber Fish’s fence-making machine was one of the main attractions. Debrowsky’s jewelry, Wm. Bergh’s furniture, Miss Margaret Bell’s minerals, and Leighton Bros. apples were also among the displays.
During WWI, no fairs were held from 1916 – 1918. From 1918 – 1930 the Farm Bureau took over planning the annual fair, which was held in Anderson at the Terry Box Factory site (east side of the railroad tracks by the old Anderson Catholic Cemetery). The depression of 1931 closed the Fair gates until 1935. In March 1933 the first board was appointed and confirmed by Governor Rolph, and the 27th DAA was reactivated, but even though the Board was in place, the next fair wasn’t held until 1935. During WWII, no fairs were held from 1942 – 1945, but since 1946 Fairs have been held every year.